Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade but oh so very easy TOMATO SOUP


Over Labor Day weekend my family and I went on a little vacation to Vermont. My husband is from there and still has a lot of family that still live in Vermont, so we stayed with his Grandparents. They are seriously the sweetest folks, so funny and loving. Grampy sent me home with some goodies from the garden ( yum!) Lots and lots of tomatoes and red and green peppers. He also gave me a 25 pound bag of bread flour because I love to bake :) See I told you, SO loving.
So, today since I have been blessed so abundently with lovely straight from the garden tomatoes, I decided to make some homemade tomato soup. Confession, I was a little nervous. I have never made tomato soup and after searching the internet for recipes it just seemed so difficult. So, by taking inspiration from many different recipes I came up with my own.
This uses minimal ingredients, patience to wait the three hrs while it simmers, and a blender.

Here is the recipe:

6 large tomatoes, chopped
1 tbl. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp sea salt.
let it come to a boil then simmer for about 3 hrs.

after cooked put into blender and blend until smooth.
add:
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 cup milk
dash of pepper
1 tbl. sour cream

blend together.

ENJOY!!

1 comment: